Prior to registering your child for one of our programs, please review the StairWay5 policies below. They are driven by small class sizes, intensity of the course material as well as the consecutive building of coursework through each class session.
The on-line enrollment form requires that you review, understand and acknowledge that you accept these policies.
COVID-19 RELATED POLICIES (updated May 26, 2020)
With safety in mind and following federal, state and local recommended guidelines related to COVID-19, please review and accept the following restrictions and requirements. These will supersede any other policies where applicable.
- Students should be dropped off on the curb and enter the outer door one at a time.
- Students should wear a mask or other covering over their nose/mouth when entering and moving around the building. Masks may be removed when sitting/working at their desks
- Each student should use the provided hand sanitizing station before entering the inner door (you may also provide your own sanitizer).
- Students will be greeted and visually checked for COVID-19 symptoms.
- Please remind your child to keep 6 feet from others.
- Students should then go to their assigned desks. One laptop/kit is assigned to one student for the duration of the class and will not be shared. Laptops and desks will be cleaned each day after class.
- Students should remain at their seats/desk during class. Ask a staff member before moving from their desks.
- Please provide your own water in a drip proof container. A short break inside or outside may be provided with social distancing in place.
- For students staying during lunch (11:30am – 1:30pm), please provide an easy to eat lunch and snacks that can be stored in their backpacks. Students should pack any uneaten food, containers and wrappers back in their backpacks for disposal at home.
- Students will exit the facility one at a time and will be asked to sanitize their hands before leaving. Students should be picked up on the curb.
- For the safety and comfort of all students and staff, we ask you to adequately prepare your child before class each day by packing water, sanitizer and mask, eating an adequate meal to carry them through class, finishing bathroom duties and washing hands prior to leaving home and reminding them about the new procedures.
- If classes need to be canceled due to updates in federal, state, local guidelines, all fees will be refunded in full.
ENROLLMENT FEES and REFUND POLICY
Payment of full class fees is required to enroll in a class. For Summer courses, enrollment can be cancelled by an email request on or before May 1st of the year in which in the course is being offered with a full refund of class fees minus a $100 fee. Fees will not be refunded if registrations is cancelled after May 1st. For all sessions other than Summer, enrollment can be cancelled by email request on or before 4 weeks of the class start date with a refund of class minus a $100 administrative fee – after which there will be no refunds.
We reserve the right to cancel a class within 2 weeks of start date if enrollment is insufficient and will offer an alternate course option if available. All fees will be refunded if a class is canceled and alternate option is not available or declined.
Please adhere to the age guidelines for each class. StairWay5 provides equal opportunity to participate in programs and does not discriminate by gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, disability, race, national origin, color, religion or creed.
STUDENT ARRIVAL and DEPARTURE
For Summer 2019, morning drop off begins at 8:30am for 9:00am classes and 1:15pm or afternoon classes. For Fall 2019, please drop off students no earlier than 10 minutes before the start of class. Please plan to arrive punctually, no later than the start time of the class.
StairWay5 will not be responsible for students prior to signing in. Please pick up your child punctually at the end of class, no more than 5 minutes after the end of class. There will be a $25 charge per 15 minutes delay in picking up your child after the 5-minute grace period. If we are unable to reach you or your emergency contacts 30 minutes after class ends, we may contact the authorities to reach a parent or guardian. If you would like your child to sign themselves out at the end of class and meet you at the outside door for pick up, please provide your approval in the student self-check out authorization section during registration. Under no circumstance can a child leave the classroom early without your authorization. Children who leave early must be picked up by a parent or the authorized individuals.
We expect students to attend every day of class for Programming, Robotics and Electronics courses except in case of illness or emergency. The coursework builds upon itself and missing more than 1 consecutive class will leave your child in a position where they cannot catch up. We reserve the right to dismiss a student who misses 2 consecutive classes. No refunds will be provided.
Classes may be canceled due to inclement weather. The parent/guardian listed on the registration form will be notified via text and/or email at least 2 hours prior to the start of class if this occurs. No refunds will be provided. A make-up class may be offered if the schedule allows.
EMERGENCY CONTACT and PROCEDURES
The parent/guardian and contacts listed during registration will be contacted for emergencies. In case of medical or life-threatening emergency, the instructor is authorized to contact emergency medical services (9-1-1) for assistance and transfer of care. Any costs incurred as a result are the responsibility of the parent/guardian.
FOOD & ALLERGIES
Food is not allowed in the classrooms – only in designated eating areas. Summer all-day students are required to bring their lunch, snacks and a refillable water bottle from home. Please be respectful of students with allergies and avoid bringing foods with nuts. Student allergies must be listed in the registration form.
We want to ensure that all students have a safe classroom environment that is free of excessive distraction. If your child’s behavior becomes a problem as determined by the instructor, the instructor will contact you to determine if the behavior can be addressed by the next session. If the student is unable to correct their behavior, we reserve the right to dismiss the student from the remainder of the course. Refunds will not be made for any classes from which a child is dismissed. Discretion for any decision to excuse a child from a course remains solely with the instructor.
INTERNET, COMPUTER and MOBILE DEVICE USAGE
Students will have access to the Internet on the computers used in each class. To a reasonable extent possible, students will be protected from access to inappropriate materials through Safe Google Search and/or other blocking software. Because information on the Internet appears, disappears, and changes, creating a “safe environment” is impossible. Instructors will provide parameters for students to work as safely as possible to achieve the course goals. Students must not share personal information (emails, phone numbers, addresses) on websites or communicate externally (e.g. FaceBook, SnapChat and other social media platforms) while in class. Cell phone or other personal device usage is not allowed during class. Parents and guardians are asked to discuss internet safety and rules with their child. Students are responsible for appropriate behavior on the school computer network just as they are in the classroom. Students are expected to use computer and robotics and other supplied equipment in a careful manner as instructed. Students that do not adhere to the internet, computer and equipment usage policies may be dismissed at the discretion of the instructor.
Last updated May 7, 2020