StairWay5 computer science courses ensure that every student knows how computers work, but also how to code in multiple programming languages. We go beyond the basics – way beyond!
Programming 1 – Web Development with HTML, CSS
- Build a digital web portfolio
- Learn about binary information flow and internet and website architecture such as web pages, servers, routers and browsers
- Learn HTML and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) using the industry standard Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (IDE)
- Design, plan, implement and present multiple web page projects of increasing complexity
- Learn fundamental code concepts such as inputs, variables, data processing and functions as well as debugging and testing code
- Learn more advanced software application design, algorithm development, and coding principles through individual projects that are created to challenge
Programming 3 – Intro to Databases/SQL
- Data is the new Oil – Data analysis is one of the most lucrative and exciting technology careers of our time
- Students learn how to organize, manage, store and query data using a relational database
- More advanced coding concepts and algorithms will be covered along with software development lifecycle principles of design, coding, and testing
- Introduction to Cloud software Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- This course is the next step in becoming a full stack developer and also the basis for more advanced programming projects and courses such as machine language (AI)
Programming Open Labs
Practice, practice, practice. Programming, like any other complex skill such learning to play a sport or musical instrument, requires guided, consistent practice to achieve mastery.
Programming open labs are specifically designed to provide students with projects that will help them to continue developing coding skills. Students are encouraged to work independently and practice their technical and core skills.
Instructors provide guidance and mentoring as needed to ensure students meet their objectives. Projects completed during the lab will be added to each student’s Digital Portfolio.
Programming Certification Prep & Test – HTML
Extensive review and practice of HTML5 coding concepts, theory, and usage in preparation for the HTML5 certification test.
Students will need to sign up with and pay testing fees separate from course fees. Following successful completion of the certification, digital certificates can be added to student portfolios.