- Technology Enrichment and Acceleration Programs in Coding and Robotics for Grades 3+
- Technology Training and Consulting for Adults / Small Businesses
Tech Enrichment Programs: We build confidence through project-based learning with small class sizes, industry-experienced instructors and high quality equipment. Our programs also focus on 5 core skills vital for success in the coming future: Problem Identification, Learning to Learn, Critical Thinking, Solutions Design and Project Management.
Technology Enrichment – Coding and Robotics for Grades 3-10.
1. Winter Break 2019 (January 2nd, 3rd, 4th) Registration is Open
Are you looking to get the kids out of the house this winter break for some fun, hands-on, educational activities after New Year and before school starts?
Lego and VEX Robotics Open Labs for Grades 3-8.
Students build Lego or VEX robots of their choice individually or in groups. They will be encouraged to create challenges (like obstacle courses and battles) to add sensors and program their robots to meet those challenges.
- Morning sessions from 9am-11:30am
- Afternoon sessions from 1:30pm-4pm
- Each session is limited to 8 students.
- Pick any day(s) or time(s) – $35 / session – Register here
For all day options, Iowa GymNest Coralville offers No-School-No-Worries Camps next door at 2550 Holiday Rd. Please select the morning Robotics lab and contact Sandy at 319-341-2229 to register for the remainder of the day from 11:30am up to 4pm.
2. Spring 2019 Pre-Registration Survey
Spring 2019 classes start January 13th and run through May 20th.
In order to better serve your child’s scheduling needs, please fill out this survey to indicate which days and times work best and whether you are interested in joining a car pool.
The Spring 2019 schedule of classes will be based on the survey results to maximize date/time requests for each class. You will be notified when class schedules and registration will are made available in November.
- Course fees range from $25-$30 per hour and
- Courses range from 18-30 hours per course.
- Each class is limited to 6 students.
Adult / Small Business Training and IT Consulting
WordPress Website Development Training: Create or update your personal or business website or blog using WordPress (or Wix, SquareSpace or similar tool), HTML and CSS in a relaxed, flexible environment to meet your goals and needs.
IT Consulting and Training for Individuals and Small Businesses: Please contact us if you have consulting or training needs related to Information Technology. Area of expertise include web development, databases/analytics, B2B integrations, project management, IT operations, vendor software evaluations, IT risk management and IT staffing.
Technology Enrichment Grades 3+ Curriculum Highlights:
Grades 5-10: Web Development I (WEB01) Take a bold step into the world of programming. Build critical coding knowledge that will serve as the technical base for further programming languages. Create a Digital Portfolio. Learn and practice:
- Information flow, Internet and website architecture and elements – how web pages, servers and browsers function.
- Design, plan, implement and present multiple web page projects that increase in complexity.
- Code concepts such as inputs, variables, data processing and functions as well as debugging and testing code
Grades 5-10: Robotics I (RBT01) Delve into the world of robots and learn to make them function to accomplish desired results. This class covers multiple plan, design and build projects to gain a basic understanding of robotics through the following:
- Mechanisms that push, pull and lift – using wheels/axles, inclined planes, wedges, lever, pulleys and screws.
- Machines with motorized movement – motors, gears, drive-trains. Understand speed and torque.
- Machines that use plows, scoops and friction grabbers for object manipulation mechanisms.
- Articulation such as rotating joints and linkages.
- Programming the robot’s computer for processing inputs and performing tasks through simple visual programming
- Sensors to detect inputs such as light, color, objects and motion
Variations from design intent, issues encountered, and lessons learned will follow each project to instill the 5 core skills. Follow this link for additional course details. Students who have completed Programming I can add their Robotics projects to their Digital Portfolios.NEXT LEVEL: Students in Robotics II (RBT02) will build more complex robots and graduate from graphical interface programming to ROBOTC, a powerful C-based programming language which is a cross-platform solution that is used in advanced courses and professional applications. Programming I is a prerequisite.
Makers Lab I Makers Lab provides additional space and time for students who are currently enrolled in or have completed Programming I and/or Robotics I to continue to expand on their projects or design and build new projects. Students will be provided access to computers, robotics kits and other materials like Arduino processor boards. They can choose to work individually or set up teams and collaborate with others for their projects. Students are encouraged to work independently and practice their technical skills and 5 core skills. Instructors will provide guidance and mentoring as needed to ensure students meet the objectives they have set for themselves. Projects completed during the Lab can also be be added to each student’s Digital Portfolio.
- $150 Registration Fee includes 10 Lab sessions.
- Scheduling is flexible